Are you ready to take that next step? The PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC) is your next logical step as a PADI Professional. PADI Open Water Scuba Instructors are the most sought-after dive professionals around the world because they’ve completed the program that sets the standard for training dive professionals. You earn a PADI Instructor rating through hard work and commitment, but you’re rewarded with a job that lets you share incredible underwater adventures with others – transforming their lives for the better and enriching yours.
What can PADI Instructors do
- Work at local dive centers, on live-aboard dive boats, yachts and at exotic resort locations
- Teach PADI scuba courses from Open Water through Divemaster
- Independently conduct Discover Scuba Courses
- Teach Emergency First Response First Aid and CPR courses
- Earn Specialty Instructor ratings and teach those specialties
- Conduct BSA Scuba Diving Merit Badge (once registered with BSA)
- Make a profound difference in someone’s life
- Teach Project AWARE courses and be an advocate for our environment.
What materials are provided by Florida Sea Base
- PADI IDC Crew Pack (Includes)
- PADI Guide to Teaching
- PADI Specialty Course Instructor Manual
- Open Water Prescriptive Lesson Guides
- Diving Knowledge Workbook
- Open Water and Confined Water Lesson Planning Slate
- Student Skill Practice Slate
- Instructor Cue Cards
- Quizzes and Exams
- PADI EFR Instructor start up pack
*You will need all the prerequisite materials for previous courses you have taken.
What are the prerequisites for the course?
- Open Water Diver
- Advanced Open Water Diver
- Rescue Diver
- PADI Emergency First Responder, First Aid and CPR
- Medical clearance signed by a physician (both PADI and BSA forms)
- 60 logged dives to start (100 logged dives to receive certification)
- 18 years old by the start of the course
- Complete the PADI IDC and Dive Theory eLearning
What will I learn?
The IDC teaches you to conduct all PADI core courses. You’ll be able to organize and present information, conduct skill development sessions and control open water dives. Basically, you become a better public speaker and get really good at demonstrating skills while watching out for student diver safety. Key topics include:
- PADI Standards and Procedures for courses you can teach with in water workshops
- Learning, Instruction and the PADI System
- Risk Management and Diver Safety
- The Business of Diving and your role as an instructor
- Marketing Diving and Sales Counseling
What’s an IE
Once you complete the IDC you will need to successfully complete the Instructor Examination. An Instructor Examination (IE) is a two-day evaluative program that tests an instructor candidate’s teaching ability, dive theory knowledge, skill level, understanding of the PADI System, attitude and professionalism. PADI IEs are standardized and conducted by specially trained PADI Instructor Examiners. The IE location, testing environment and examination sessions are organized to be as objective as possible to fairly and consistently evaluate a candidate’s abilities. Only those who meet the IE performance requirements earn the respected PADI Instructor certification.
What costs are associated with the program
Sea Base covers the cost of the materials and course fee. The Instructor agrees to work for Sea Base for at least one spring or summer season as payment for the course. If the Instructor cannot fulfill this requirement they will be responsible for reimbursing Sea Base $1050 for the course fee and $375 for the materials.
Participants are responsible for the PADI IDC Application fee ($190*), Instructor Examination Fee ($700*), PADI IDC eLearning fee ($402*) and the PADI Dive Theory eLearning ($140*). You must use this link when registering for the PADI on-line classes.
Sea Base provides housing, food and rental dive equipment during the program.
*PADI fees subject to change, Sea Base has no control over PADI fees.
How do I apply for the course?
After completing the Sea Base IDC application and the PADI IDC application send them to Joe.Angelo@Scouting.org
September 12-22, 2019