The Florida Sea Base Divemaster Academy
The Florida Sea Base Divemaster Academy gives Venturers and Boy Scouts the opportunity to further their dive training by becoming a certified PADI Divemaster. (see PADI Career Path).
PADI Divemaster training is the first professional level of dive training. The Divemaster course teaches candidates to safely and effectively conduct and supervise a number of diving activities.
The Divemaster Course prepares students for the PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor Development Course. The PADI Divemaster Course consists of three modules: water skills assessment and stamina exercises, knowledge development, and practical application.
The Florida Sea Base will provide instruction, study materials, scuba equipment, air fills, food, housing and uniforms to the candidates that qualify and are accepted. (Candidates are encouraged to bring their own scuba equipment.)
In return, graduates must work one spring or summer session as a Divemaster at FSB. Candidates will be responsible for transportation costs to and from Florida Sea Base and the Divemaster Application Fee (payable to PADI).
All Knowledge Reviews and Workbook exercises MUST be completed prior to arrival at the Florida Sea Base Divemaster Academy. Academy enrollment is limited. Candidates must arrive on Tuesday, 18 December 2012. The Academy will begin at 0730, 19 December 2012. The course will conclude at 2100, 02 January 2013.
Interested parties should contact the Florida Sea Base Program Director at PO Box 1906, Islamorada, FL 33036 or 305-393-7373 or Divemaster.Academy@bsaseabase.org.
Divemaster Academy Prerequisites
- Be certified as a PADI Advanced Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization).
- Be certified as a PADI Rescue Diver (or qualifying certification from another training organization).
- Provide copies from personal log book of at least 40 logged dives (60 logged dives required for certification).
- Be at least 18 years old at start of program.
- Present a PADI / RSTC medical form that has been signed by a doctor (regardless of health history), clearing the candidate to dive. The medical clearance must be current within the past 12 months.
- Have current CPR and First Aid certifications.
Download the Divemaster Academy Brochure (PDF)
Download the Divemaster Academy Application (PDF)